Marim Haller at a parade

  • Photo taken in:
    Year when photo was taken:
    Country name at time of photo:
    Country name today:

This photograph was most likely taken at a parade, we had to attend parades - on May 1, on May 10. The date on the back of the photograph reads 1st May 1945. I, Marim Haller, am the first from the left, fourth row.


I was born in Harlau in 1915. Officially, my name is Marim, but people call me Maly. I was named after a neighbor whom my mother knew. I believe we lived in Harlau until I was about 10. And afterwards we moved to Botosani, my mother and I. We lived in a rented house on Dragos Voda St., which had 2 rooms and a kitchen, and mother would rent one of the rooms to tenants - she rented one of the rooms, and we lived in the other room - so that we could get by, she rented the room to pupils - that's how life was in those days!   


I entered a job when I was 13, and I was already earning money by then. Little as it was, but it helped to support the household. If my mother was unemployed… [I would go to] School during half of the day, [and go to] work during the remaining half. It was like this: if I had classes in the morning, I would go to school in the afternoon. If I had classes in the afternoon, I would go to work in the morning, and again at 4 in the afternoon when I returned from school. And I worked until evening. My employer's name was Solomon Margulies, he had a store where colonial products were sold, retail and wholesale - he also sold products wholesale to others who supplied themselves from him. At first, I was hired as a commercial intern - but I was paid for it. We were required by the school to complete a period of internship. And by completing my internship there, I remained employed afterwards as well, and worked as an accountant.


I remained employed at this store for colonial products for a very long time. I worked at Margulies since 1929 until 1943. And then I obtained a transfer to Societatea Hartia [the Paper Company], where I was in charge of bookkeeping until 1944. From June 1944 until September 1944 I worked for the City Hall of Botosani. Many goods had been confiscated from Jews in 1943-1944, or people left and abandoned their goods, which were taken over by authorities, and they all needed to be assessed and registered, and there was an institution in charge of this - Botosani Urban Goods.


Cooperatives were organized after the war, and I obtained a transfer to the Citizen's Cooperative as head of department. After that I worked at the Alimentara Commercial Organization from 1948 until 1956, then at the Recolta [the Harvest] Regional Industrial Unit for Acquisitions - it was still an industrial unit for cereals, and you got transferred from one place to another because they always kept closing down and received a new name, everything was being reorganized. I also worked at the Ready-made Clothes Factory, and at the Medicinal Plants Industrial Unit from 1960, where I was accountant-in-chief already. I worked there until I retired in 1970. I never missed a day at work.

Interview details

Interviewee: Marim Haller
Emoke Major
Month of interview:
Year of interview:
Botosani, Romania


Marim Haller
Year of birth:
City of birth:
Country name at time of birth:
after WW II:
Family names
  • Previous family name: 
    Year of changing: 
    Reason for changing: 

More photos from this country

Clara Foldes with pupils
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf03 mnesdcuix8