Thomas Molnar's Israeli preliminary visa

Thomas Molnar's Israeli preliminary visa
  • Photo taken in:
    Year when photo was taken:
    Country name at time of photo:
    Country name today:
This preliminary visa was issued by the Israeli consulate in Budapest in 1949. At high school I got in contact with the Shomer. To tell you honestly, I wasn't really interested in it. It was boring, too; it wasn't as interesting as scouting. I only went there because I had had enough of this and I wanted to immigrate. I was in the 7th grade of high school at that time. They asked me if I wanted to go to Israel. My parents wanted me to go to Australia, but I answered that I wanted to go to Israel, and I thought that if I went there I would decide where to go The condition was to take with me three 13-14 year old children, two boys and a girl. They told us where to go in Sarospatak. This was in May 1949. We slept in Sarospatak all day long, and when it got dark we went to Czechoslovakia. As we crossed the border we were caught at once, the Slovakian policemen caught us. They took us to the lock-up in Kiralyhelmec. We were locked up there for four days, but we didn't have a very hard time. Kiralyhelmec is a small village, and the local Jews found out that we were there and they brought us blankets and food. Then they gave money to the gendarmes and they let us go. I was standing there in Kiralyhelmec with three children. The Jews from there told us to get on the train and go to Kassa and that in Kassa someone would wait for us. They arranged for someone to wait for us there. They bought the tickets and we got on the train. When the control came on the train, I hid in the toilet, and they didn't check the children. I wasn't caught. We arrived in Kassa, and there was really someone waiting for us there. The person in question took us to the Agudat, where there were around 100 Jews, who also wanted to immigrate. There was a big courtyard and there were rooms. We were there for two or three weeks, and then they told us that there was a transport. We got on the train and went to Pozsony. In Pozsony they were already waiting for us. The next morning we got on a bus and we smoothly went over to Austria. In Vienna they took us to the Rothschild Hospital. They used that as a reception center, the Hungarian Jews also went there, and they waited there to go somewhere: America, Canada, Israel. When we arrived, the Rotschild Hospital was full; there was only room in the corridor. This was a big Jewish hospital, with several buildings. The three children soon left for Israel, I haven't heard from them ever since. I don't remember their names either, only their first names. We had discussed with my parents that I would wait in Vienna and that they would come after me. I waited and waited and waited. They were supposed to come with a transport just like this. That was the last transport, and it was caught.

Interview details

Interviewee: Thomas Molnar
Andor Mihály
Month of interview:
Year of interview:
Budapest, Hungary


Thomas Molnar
Jewish name:
Year of birth:
City of birth:
after WW II:
Kereskedő, jogász
Family names
  • Previous family name: 
    Molnár Tamás
    Reason for changing: 

More photos from this country

Magda Fischer's demobilizing certificate
Kati Andai's mother Margit Brichta as a young woman
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8
glqxz9283 sfy39587stf03 mnesdcuix8